Remember all fouls except technicals must involve contact however all contact is not a foul. If there is illegal contact
which puts someone at a disadvantage then a foul may be called. A few senarios come to mind.
1.Too often when there is contact a defensive foul is called or assumed automatically. By rule the offense has just as
much responsibility to avoid contact as the defense. To referee this, it is imperative that we referee the defense. If
the defensive player does nothing or stays within his vertical plane, then he cannot be charged with a foul for doing nothing.
The offense created this contact and we can't penalize the defense.
2. Offensive player with ball goes into a crowd or tries to go between defenders. Defensive players are not required
to get out of his/her way, again the offense has just as much responsibility to avoid contact as the defense.
3. Offensive player trips on someones feet. If a player trips someone outside of the plane of the body then it is a foul,
if an offensive player trips on someones feet through his agressive behavior, it is not a foul. All players have feet and
they must be somewhere. Officials must use their judgement to determine whether a player was tripped or tripped on someone
feet. Be prepared to hear the boos on the latter because it is not a foul even though everybody wants it especially if a player
3. Going after loose balls- there will probably be some sort of contact but if both were only going after ball you have
to use judgement as to whether contact was legal or illegal.
4. Taller players can go over smaller players backs or anywhere else as long as they don't displace them. Don't let
the player inside push with their backside to create a foul or as some coaches say "put them on your back" don't
cave in to this tactic. The pushing is the illegal act.
5. Along with the hand check is the defensive arm bar. Defensive player will extend their arm in front of offensive players
waist or midsection to slow them down or restrict movement or direction. This is a holding foul.
Fans are spectators of the game and are not bound by the rules of the game. We have to allow to be fans. They can't use profanity,
be personally degrading, make themselves part of the game. They can cheer, boo, holler. If a fan becomes unruly, you will
know it, you don't have to look for him. If there is a problem, don't say anything to fan, alert game management and let
them handle it.
ONLY THE HEAD COACH MAY USE THE COACHING BOX, ASST. COACHES MAY NOT STAND DURING LIVE BALL
ANY COMPLAINING OR COMMENT FROM ASST.-NO WARNING-TECHNICAL FOUL
ANY COMPLAINING OR COMMENT FROM HEAD COACH WHILE IN COACHING BOX-YOU MAY GIVE WARNING-TECHNICAL FOUL
ANY COMPLAINING OR COMMENT FROM HEAD COACH WHILE OUTSIDE COACHING BOX-NO WARNING-TECHNICAL FOUL
BELOW ARE SOME "TRICKS" SOME COACHES USE TO AVOID PENALTY OF UNSPORTSMANLIKE ACTS
1. "The fouls are seven to one"..It is not our job to keep fouls even. Just as teams outscore each other, a
team can commit more fouls than the other. Address it a the first occurence and penalize it with technical foul if necessary.
2."If they are not gonna call it" They act as if they are talking to a player but making sure you hear it.
Does not matter who they are talking to......TECHINCAL FOUL
3. "Walk..thats a foul. you gotta call that" You usually see this early in a game. This is the coach that wants
to constantly officiate the game. Address it a the first occurence and penalize it with technical foul if necessary.
4. Coach wants to talk to you about every call or has questions every trip down the floor. There is no reason for you
to justify every trip up the floor. He has abused and used up a privilege. Don't do it, your attention is needed on the
5. "Help your partner, he is pitiful" ...We are hesitant because he is not talking about you.....Technical foul
cause he will say the same about you. Does not matter who is talking to or which one he is talking about.
POST YOUR COMMENTS-CLICK HERE